I just upgraded my Mac Pro’s memory from 4GBs to 12GBs of RAM. I should have done this a loooooong time ago. This film would probably have long been finished. My sanity level would have remained higher. Until now almost every time I moved the mouse, my memory-intensive visual-effects programs would spin that beach ball for minutes. Or the Mac would lock up entirely. Though the program’s aren’t running at fantasy speeds now, I can actually watch a massive VFX shot chug (albeit in slow jerks) at quarter resolution. This is big. It will help me get these shots finished reasonably and relatively quickly.
Just a quick update. Still working on adding feathers to several shots for continuity. The CG feathers I’m getting now are so real that you can’t see the difference between those and the real feathers any more. There’s been a learning curve, and I’m happy to be able to go back and fix the first shots to make the continuity between shots seamless. The photo above is a great one by Dan Eggleston of some of the Windsor-Moore prep girls and Mr. Ian taking a break from shooting.
Seems I’m running into more and more people these days asking about the film. Thanks for your patience, everyone. To put it in a nutshell, a handful of visual effects shots are left on my end. Then it’s fundraising season for the final post processes: recording the soundtrack, sound mix and color grading chiefly–the fun stuff. The film’s pretty much finished. Meanwhile, I’ll try to post production stills on the blog to keep it entertaining.
*PS: The Windsor-Moore Prep “crew” t-shirt is available on Red Bubble. This is not a fundraising project. It’s just available for fun for anyone who wants a film t-shirt.
The first of several feather-particle shots is complete. Getting those feathers to look and behave convincingly and match the live shots was more difficult than I thought it would be. Hope the other feather shots are easier, now that one’s completed.
Mist & Nimbus mail is back up. Thanks and Happy New Year!
Working in Apple Motion trying to generate CG feathers that mimic those in the live-action shots (real feathers). I’ll composite them into live action shots that need them (continuity). It’s the movement behavior that’s difficult to match; the direction of the wind in the live shots. Pictured is a screenshot of a shot element I’m working on now.
So I’ve finally gotten around to doing my first audio test with DSLR video. I’m using a Nikon D3100 HD DSLR* with no audio inputs for a series of short interviews that will be a supplementary feature of “Wood.” I plan to show the interview feature at the screening, and will include it in the DVD and Blu-ray release.
Since the in-camera microphones on DSLRs stink, I tested plugging a lavalier mic receiver into the 1/8″ input of my Tascam DR-07 MKII. It worked! If I use some kind of clapper to make a pop in the audio, I should be able to sync the sound with the video in post.
*I upgraded the memory card to a SanDisk Extreme 32GB SDHC (Class 10) flash memory card.
I’m changing web hosts, so the mistandnimbus.com site and affiliated email accounts are down temporarily. Please send emails to therese_kimAThotmail.com in the meantime.
I’m not working on the film at the moment. I’ve been spending the past week (off of work) cleaning up the studio (just about finished) so that I can work on the film again next week!