So I’ve finally gotten around to doing my first audio test with DSLR video. I’m using a Nikon D3100 HD DSLR* with no audio inputs for a series of short interviews that will be a supplementary feature of “Wood.” I plan to show the interview feature at the screening, and will include it in the DVD and Blu-ray release.
Since the in-camera microphones on DSLRs stink, I tested plugging a lavalier mic receiver into the 1/8″ input of my Tascam DR-07 MKII. It worked! If I use some kind of clapper to make a pop in the audio, I should be able to sync the sound with the video in post.
*I upgraded the memory card to a SanDisk Extreme 32GB SDHC (Class 10) flash memory card.
Sorry–have been so busy at work the past few months. Getting home late and then working some more and am too tired to think. Towards the end of the month I’ll have a chunk of time to work full time on “Wood.”
Good progress on film, despite long silence. Have been working on a fundraising campaign and that “Emerge” shot, which just needs some touch up work in various places. Fair to say the most difficult work is done, VFX-wise. Stand by for more and better updates.
It’s my goal to raise $11,000 dollars for the recording of the “In this Wood” soundtrack by a professional orchestra in Prague. I’ve been planning a series of fundraisers, and anticipate this amount will take time to raise. A few years ago, I launched a Kickstarter campaign that didn’t run long enough (Kickstarter requires you to meet your entire fundraising goal by a designated deadline, and is all or nothing). Had it run longer, it’s possible my then goal of $10K (for VFX and color grading) would have been reached.
This time, I plan to launch a GoFundMe campaign that allows me to raise funds without a time restraint, and doesn’t impose an all-or-nothing proviso.
This evening, the background and separate tree elements were linked to the motion of the live footage. Miranda walking through them, with a slow camera push in and pan made the shot much more dynamic and interactive than the original footage. Still a few issues to work out, but this is exciting to me.
Got a clean motion track of the original footage of “Emerge” shot today. The bottom picture shows original footage with camera motion being tracked. You can see all the individual frames as red dots below (x, y, correlation points).
Wasn’t easy, because not much of the shot was trackable. A distinctive trunk or branch would only stay in frame (or not be covered up by Miranda) for a dozen frames or so. Directly below is the background plate that the motion will be linked to.
Okay, I know this is lame. But I’ve been really busy lately, and haven’t had time to work on the film for more than a month. And I won’t for at least another week. But after that, it’s going to be go, go go!