I haven’t been able to work on the film. Personal projects cropped up this year, and the film schedule needed to be pushed back. I’d been rather burned out on the VFX, and went back to the edit a day or two here and there, having fun tightening things up. After a little more work of doing that, though, I’ll be going back to the VFX shots, and asking for help from a pro consultant instead of spending more time struggling on the same shot.
The past week or so have been spent going back to the edit, and making rough composites to see exactly how the real composites should work into the edit. Looking good.
After thinking I’d finally found a way to use my horse roto–despite all the branches in front of the horse (see “First horse roto…” pic), the “solution” didn’t work out. I thought I could blur out the branches and adjust the branches and leaves to the color of the horse, but it looked terrible. I was able to blur the torso satisfactorily–there used to be lots of branches over it. But look at the horse’s tail–forget it, and the head would lose the eyes and facial features.
So, I went through all the horse footage I had, and selected another shot that was much cleaner. I’ve been working on this new roto this week, and have about a quarter of the shot finished (140 frames total).
The reason I didn’t chose cleaner shots to begin with was because none of the cleaner shots of the horse had the right movements needed for continuity in the edit.
I did a quick test of the shot in the composite, and it will work–much more beautifully than the first shot, as it turns out. After I insert a cutaway shot, the continuity problem won’t be an issue.
Here’s a look at the successful horse roto in progress: