A Musical Sidebar

While brainstorming ways to raise money for the film’s upcoming expenses, I thought of using my graphic design skills to create papery goodies like cards or posters.

But Mom suggested putting my music out there instead, to see if it might do anything. (I have a CD about 80% finished; 14 songs I think. But I put it on hold when I started working on film projects.) So instead of waiting until “Wood” is complete before finishing and releasing my album, I put my first single out there: “Suns Used to Shine.” It’s the first song I ever recorded (way back in 1996).

So as I continue to work on “Wood,” I hope to release pieces I’m almost finished with as singles. “Suns Used to Shine” is available worldwide, and as a download on Amazon , iTunes and CDBaby. You can also hear it on Spotify. If you feel like helping out, please spread the word. Thank you!

Amazon |  iTunes | CDBaby

Memory Upgrade!

Some of the lead girls between takes.
Some of the lead girls between takes.

I just upgraded my Mac Pro’s memory from 4GBs to 12GBs of RAM. I should have done this a loooooong time ago. This film would probably have long been finished. My sanity level would have remained higher. Until now almost every time I moved the mouse, my memory-intensive visual-effects programs would spin that beach ball for minutes. Or the Mac would lock up entirely. Though the program’s aren’t running at fantasy speeds now, I can actually watch a massive VFX shot chug (albeit in slow jerks) at quarter resolution. This is big. It will help me get these shots finished reasonably and relatively quickly.



Just a quick update. Still working on adding feathers to several shots for continuity. The CG feathers I’m getting now are so real that you can’t see the difference between those and the real feathers any more. There’s been a learning curve, and I’m happy to be able to go back and fix the first shots to make the continuity between shots seamless. The photo above is a great one by Dan Eggleston of some of the Windsor-Moore prep girls and Mr. Ian taking a break from shooting.

Photo of the Week–Plus a Quick Update

011714_ITW_ProductionStillSeems I’m running into more and more people these days asking about the film. Thanks for your patience, everyone. To put it in a nutshell, a handful of visual effects shots are left on my end. Then it’s fundraising season for the final post processes: recording the soundtrack, sound mix and color grading chiefly–the fun stuff. The film’s pretty much finished. Meanwhile, I’ll try to post production stills on the blog to keep it entertaining.

ITWcrewshirt*PS: The Windsor-Moore Prep “crew” t-shirt is available on Red Bubble. This is not a fundraising project. It’s just available for fun for anyone who wants a film t-shirt.

Preparing for Supplementary Interviews

So I’ve finally gotten around to doing my first audio test with DSLR video. I’m using a Nikon D3100 HD DSLR* with no audio inputs for a series of short interviews that will be a supplementary feature of “Wood.” I plan to show the interview feature at the screening, and will include it in the DVD and Blu-ray release.

Since the in-camera microphones on DSLRs stink, I tested plugging a lavalier mic receiver into the 1/8″ input of my Tascam DR-07 MKII. It worked! If I use some kind of clapper to make a pop in the audio, I should be able to sync the sound with the video in post.

*I upgraded the memory card to a SanDisk Extreme 32GB SDHC (Class 10) flash memory card.

Site and Email down

I’m changing web hosts, so the mistandnimbus.com site and affiliated email accounts are down temporarily. Please send emails to therese_kimAThotmail.com in the meantime. 

I’m not working on the film at the moment. I’ve been spending the past week (off of work) cleaning up the studio (just about finished) so that I can work on the film again next week!

Happy Thanksgiving!!


Upcoming Crowdfunding Campaign

It’s my goal to raise $11,000 dollars for the recording of the “In this Wood” soundtrack by a professional orchestra in Prague. I’ve been planning a series of fundraisers, and anticipate this amount will take time to raise. A few years ago, I launched a Kickstarter campaign that didn’t run long enough (Kickstarter requires you to meet your entire fundraising goal by a designated deadline, and is all or nothing). Had it run longer, it’s possible my then goal of $10K (for VFX and color grading) would have been reached.

This time, I plan to launch a GoFundMe campaign that allows me to raise funds without a time restraint, and doesn’t impose an all-or-nothing proviso.